The Greater Indianapolis Fourth of July Classic (TGIF) is an international LGBTQ bowling tournament that is sanctioned by the United States Bowling Congress and the International Gay Bowling Organization. TGIF Classic bowling tournament provides fellowship through amateur competition. The TGIF Classic bowling tournament is held annually on or around July 4th, and averages 140-200 bowlers, plus their guests, from all over the USA and Canada each year.
The objectives of TGIF are:
* Further establish the reputation of the city of Indianapolis as a provider of world-class amateur competition.
* Actively contribute to the LGBTQ community by making contributions to established charities agreed upon by the membership of the committee.
* Positively impact the economic growth in the greater Indianapolis metropolitan area by promoting our local and corporate sponsors.
TGIF Classic Tournament History
In 1993 a group of Indianapolis bowlers wanted to raise money for the Bag Ladies efforts for the Direct Emergency Financial Assistance Fund. They organized a bowling tournament in 1994 that was called Bowl Over AIDS. The tournament had over 300 participants and raised several thousand for the DEFA Fund. That group of bowlers, lead by Joe Ogle and Bob Shortt, then decided to hold an annual tournament over the Independence Day holiday that lead to the formation of TGIF Inc. in 1994. For 24 years TGIF Classic has had the support its founding sponsor, Gregs Our Place, and many other LGBTQ friendly businesses in the Indianapolis metropolitan area.
Any excess funds at the end of the year are donated to local charities. Over the last 23 years, we have been able to give over $46,000 in donations back to organizations in our community, including but not limited to:
* The Greg Powers Direct Emergency Financial Assistance (DEFA) fund
* The Damien Center
* Indiana Youth Group (IYG)
* The Humane Society of Indianapolis
TGIF Classic partnered with The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis in 2019 to assist with administrative activities and to assist with fundraising.
If you would like to support the work of the TGIF Classic, please click here to donate.